After years of living a (hopefully) fun and productive life, it is inevitable that skin will get damaged – sun, wind, and the stress of life can take their toll. There are a variety of ways to treat skin blemishes and wrinkles and make skin look refreshed, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take good care of your skin, especially during these hot and sunny summer months.
Protect your skin
Spending time outside is good for you, both physically and mentally, and summer time means that there are lots of fun activities just waiting for you to do outside. Here are some tips for staying safe this summer:
• Stay indoors between 10 am and 4 pm, if possible. This is when the sun is at its strongest.
• Don’t forget the sunscreen! Even if it is a cloudy day, the sun’s rays can still cause damage to your skin. Use sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30, and reapply it often if you stay outside for long.
• For maximum protection, in addition to sunscreen, cover up with pants and a long sleeve shirt. A wide-brimmed hat will protect your skin and will also help to keep you cool.
• Protect your eyes as well, with sunglasses that block UV rays and cover the skin around the eyes.
• If you do want to tan, you should sunbathe for no more than 20 minutes a day.
Sun exposure increases the odds that you’ll get skin cancer, but, unfortunately, skin cancer can strike even if you don’t go outside very often. If you notice any spots or moles on your body that just don’t look right, see your doctor right away. Skin cancer is very treatable when it is caught early, but can be deadly if it is not.
Taking care of your skin and protecting it from the sun will help to keep it looking young and beautiful – and will help you to stay healthy, too. For help taking care of your skin and keeping it beautiful, contact the office of Dr. Gary J. Price in New Haven or Fairfield County, CT. Call (203) 453-6635 for an appointment today!