Should you have ear surgery?

beautiful young woman pointing finger to her earHave your ears always made you feel self-conscious? Do you feel like they stick out too far or they are too large for your head? Or maybe you have been having second thoughts about that gauge, but if you take it out now you’ll have embarrassing and unsightly stretched out ear lobes. Whatever the case, otoplasty can help!

What is otoplasty?

Otoplasty is simply ear surgery, which is sometimes referred to as “ear pinning.” It can be used to reshape or remove ear cartilage for ears that are too big, protrude too far out from the head, are asymmetric, or are too pointy. It can also be used to fix a torn or stretched ear lobe.

Who can have otoplasty?

This procedure has a very low incidence of complications, and even children can have otoplasty. By the age of 5, the ears are nearly fully developed, but the cartilage is more easily moldable than it is in the adult ear.

Ear surgery is performed on an outpatient basis, and intravenous sedation or general anesthetic can be used. The exact procedure varies depending on what the issue is and what results the patient would like to see, and both ears can be corrected during the same procedure. Any incisions can be made on the back of the ear so that any scars will be hidden.

After otoplasty, patients report only minimal pain. However, you will probably be uncomfortable, bruised, and swollen. Over-the-counter pain medication can help. Once the swelling goes down you will notice a difference right away. Although you should avoid anything too strenuous for a few weeks after the surgery, you can get back to your normal activities within a week to 10 days. You will be given compression bandages to support the ears, and you will want to make sure to protect your ears from any kind of impact.

With otoplasty, you don’t have to be self-conscious about your ears anymore – and your child doesn’t have to be, either. Contact the office of Dr. Gary J. Price for an otoplasty consultation. Call the office in New Haven or Fairfield County, CT, at (203) 453-6635 for an appointment today!

Comments are closed.