A person who is fit and in good health can still develop unwanted fat deposits in the hips, love handles, buttocks, and other areas of the body for reasons that are beyond our control, including genetics. In these cases liposuction can improve body contour and create a more proportional body.
What is Liposuction?
Liposuction, also called lipoplasty or lipo, is a type of cosmetic surgery that uses suction to remove fat from the body. During liposuction, small, thin cannulas are inserted through tiny incisions in the skin. Fat is suctioned out of the body through these cannulas and move under your skin to target particular fat deposits.
Why Should I Get Liposuction?
If you have excess fat deposits in different areas of your body that do not seem to respond to diet and exercise, lipo may work for you. A good candidate for liposuction is an individual with good overall health who is at or close to his or her ideal weight but has stubborn fat deposits that won’t go away with exercise. Typically, a good candidate has a visible bulge, and at least an inch can be “pinched” in the area to be treated.
What Areas Does Lipo Treat?
Although Liposuction is known for removing abdominal fat, treatment can occur on the following areas of the body:
- Face and Neck: Liposuction can effectively remove fat deposits in the cheeks, jowls, and chin. For better results, we are able to combine facial liposuction with other procedures like laser rejuvenation.
- Breast: Liposuction is a technique for both men and women as part of breast reduction surgery. Lipo can help reduce scarring during breast reduction surgery. It is also an excellent technique when correcting asymmetrical breasts.
- Abdomen: Body contour can improve with the removal of fat deposits. Dr. Price often combines abdominal liposuction with tummy tuck. For long-lasting results, patients should stick to a proper diet and exercise routine after the procedure.
- Thigh and Buttocks: Removing fat from the thighs and buttocks can improve the contour of the lower body.
- Hips and Back: A slimmer midsection is obtainable by removing fat deposits from the hips and back.
- Arms: Individuals tend to feel uncomfortable wearing sleeveless shirts due to fat deposits in the arms. Arm liposuction is usually done on women to improve the appearance of bulky arms.
- Knees and Calves: Liposuction can reduce the natural fat deposits around the knees and calves that accrue over the years.
Liposuction Fat Removal Procedure
Liposuction is performed by Dr. Price as an outpatient procedure and does not require an overnight stay in the hospital. Improved lipo techniques in recent years have made it safer and less painful. General anesthesia is not necessary for the procedure. It is performed using local anesthesia or intravenous sedation instead.
Risks of Liposuction
Liposuction is generally safe when done by a qualified, experienced surgeon like Dr. Price. However, like every other procedure, there are risks. The common side effects of lipo are temporary bruising, swelling, and numbness in the treated sites. There is also the risk of infection, poor wound healing, fluid accumulation, and the need for revision surgery.
Does Liposuction Hurt?
Due to the local anesthetic that is applied prior to the procedure, most patients report experiencing minimal discomfort. Often, patients will report the feeling of a tight, yet subtle, pinching during the beginning of the procedure. However, once the anesthetic is in full effect, there should be no pain.
Lipo Recovery Process
The treated areas typically show some bruising for about two weeks. Many patients experience a “bruisy” type pain, which can require pain medication for several days. Swelling from the procedure will subside enough by two weeks that some improvement in contour will be visible. About 75 percent of the final result is visible at six weeks after the procedure, while final results take three to six months.
Exercise is limited for two weeks after liposuction to help speed recovery, but patients may return to full activity after two weeks have passed. Most areas treated with lipo will benefit from the use of a compression garment post-operatively. These are provided as part of the procedure.
How Long Do Lipo Results Last?
During Liposuction, Dr. Price removes fat cells from the targeted areas permanently. However, it is still possible to gain the weight back, with new fat cells, which usually go to different areas of your body.
To keep your new shape after surgery, it is important to follow a diet that includes the following:
- Lean protein
- Fruits and vegetables
- Whole grains
- Low-fat dairy
It is important that you are supporting your healthy eating with regular exercise.
Schedule a Consultation
Additional Procedures Available:
*Individual results may vary on case by case basis to the end of the page.