You probably have a friend, a coworker, or a family member who has had Botox; it is a very popular procedure that has been safely used for decades. Perhaps you are considering having some Botox yourself, but you have some questions – here are 7+ things you should know about Botox that you might not.
1. Botox is made from the botulinum toxin. Although the word “toxin” isn’t very encouraging, when used correctly this toxin can be very useful. It is not only used cosmetically, but it can also be helpful for people who suffer with migraines, lazy eye, and even bladder problems.
2. Botox works by blocking signals that pass between muscles and nerves. This keeps muscles from contracting, which relaxes wrinkles.
3. Although Botox is very well-known to help reduce wrinkles, there are other injectables that can be used to do the same thing, such as Dysport. Your doctor will be able to discuss with you the differences between them and which one would be best for you.
4. Botox is a great alternative to a surgical procedure such as a face lift. It only takes a few minutes, is painless (most patients report it only feels like a little pinch), and there is no downtime afterward, all of which is much better than surgery!
5. Botox can be combined with other procedures or fillers, so that you can get the exact results that you want.
6. It may take a few weeks to really see the effects of your Botox injections, although you will start to notice a difference within a few days. These effects can last for months. Once they wear off you can have another Botox treatment – many patients get it every 3 months or so.
7. Some patients feel a bit bruised after a Botox treatment, but this will fade in a couple of days.
Botox is a great option if you aren’t ready for a face lift or other surgical procedure, but you have found that serums and creams just aren’t doing a good job of reducing your wrinkles and fine lines. Schedule a Botox appointment with Dr. Gary J. Price at the office in New Haven or Fairfield County, CT, at (203) 453-6635. Call today!